CODE OF CONDUCT
The Living Coast Discovery Center members and guests are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful manner to other guests, personnel, animals, and the center and shall not engage in unsafe, illegal, disruptive, or offensive behavior. The Living Coast Discovery Center reserves the right to remove any guests exhibiting prohibited behaviors or circumstances, which include:
- Throwing objects of any kind or littering.
- Fighting or altercations.
- Public intoxication.
- Feeding or attempting to feed/touch any of the animals except as directed by Living Coast Discovery Center staff & volunteers (including wild animals on the Living Coast Discovery Center property such as squirrels, ducks, snakes, etc.)
- Harassment in any form toward the guests, personnel, and animals, including wild animals on the refuge.
- Failing to follow written or verbal instructions of staff or behaving in a manner that may endanger the safety of any guests, personnel, or animals at the Living Coast Discovery Center.
- Distributing or displaying unapproved printed or recorded materials or the unauthorized sale (or display) of goods.
- Cutting, picking, damaging, or disturbing any tree, shrub, flower, or plant. The Living Coast Discovery Center is on the San Diego National Wildlife Refuge, and all flora and fauna are federally protected.
If the behavior of a guest or guests around you becomes disruptive or violates the Living Coast Discovery Center Code of Conduct, you should report the incident to the nearest employee.
The Living Coast Discovery Center is a smoke-free environment. The use of tobacco products of any kind is not permitted on the property.
Guests must be at least 16 years of age to visit the center without adult supervision. If you are 15 or under you must be accompanied by an adult at least 18 years of age.
By visiting the Living Coast Discovery Center, you acknowledge and consent to our photographing, filming, recording, or otherwise reproducing your image and/or voice (or that of any minor for whom you serve as a legal guardian) and using it for any purpose without payment. Please let us know if you have any issues or concerns about being included in Living Coast Discovery Center photography or videography.
The Living Coast Discovery Center is an ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) compliant facility. We want to do our best to accommodate all people with disabilities. We offer a 20% discount on admission for people with disabilities and one (1) complimentary attendant ticket per paid person with disabilities (children two (2) and under are not part of this program).
Our shuttle is ADA-accessible, and we have accessible parking available. Please call (619) 409-5900 ahead of your visit for more information on parking. We have one (1) wheelchair available for check-out (license or ID will be held until the wheelchair is returned). We also have private restrooms available for those who need them.
Please ask our front desk for more details or call our mainline at (619) 409-5900 for any other accommodations.
Service animals are allowed on the Living Coast Discovery Center grounds with some restrictions. Service animals are restricted from visiting the Shorebird Aviary. Restrictions are subject to change at the discretion of the Living Coast Discovery Center staff.
Check in with your service animal at the front desk to review specific requirements and register your service animal if qualified under the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Call (619) 409-5900 if you have any questions.
Recite Me lets visitors view and use the Living Coast Discovery Center website in a way that works best for them. We’ve added the Recite Me web accessibility and language toolbar to our website to make it accessible and inclusive for as many people as possible.
How do I access the Recite Me toolbar?
You can open the Recite Me language and accessibility toolbar by clicking on the round blue button in the bottom right corner of the page. This button is available on every page of our website.
After you click on the button, the Recite Me toolbar opens and displays a range of options for customizing how our website looks and how you can interact with it.
You can use the Recite Me toolbar to:
Read website text aloud (including PDFs)
Download the text as an MP3 file to play it where and when it suits you
Change font sizes and colors
Translate text into more than 100 different languages
Access a fully integrated dictionary and thesaurus