The Living Coast Discovery Center is fortunate to receive support from local organizations and foundations to sponsor programs so that they can be offered at a free or reduced cost for eligible classes, teachers, and groups. Please read below to learn about these opportunities.
Virtual Field Trips
Ultimate Virtual Field Trip Bundle – K-12
Receive the ultimate virtual field trip bundle ($300 value) at no cost thanks to the generous support of the Unified Port of San Diego (K-2) & United States Fish and Wildlife Services (3-12).
Composting 101 – K-12
A virtual or in-person compost lesson from our Master Compost Team:
- Introduction to composting
- Help with school compost bin and garden
- Program tailored to fit your students’ level
Generously sponsored by City of Chula Vista, this program is completely free to elementary school classes from CVESD schools. This program will be customized to your needs including the option to be all virtual or an outreach to your school.
To sign up, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Live Zoom Lesson – K-12
ArtsBusXpress is sponsoring our Virtual Field Trips. All awarded teachers will be given a virtual live Zoom lesson with the Living Coast ($225 value).
Coastal Climate Champions – Middle School
A 4-part series includes:
- Introduction to climate change
- Study of local climate patterns
- Human impacts and effects
- Final student-driven project
Generously sponsored by San Diego Gas & Electric, this program is completely free to middle school classes from Title 1 or at-risk schools. This program will be customized to your needs including the option to be all virtual, or a hybrid of virtual and in-person. (Field Trip option is not available until Spring 2021.)
To learn more, email: email@example.com
On-Site Field Trips
Living Lab Field Trip – K-12
A 4-hour field trip to the Living Coast includes:
- One hour program led by highly trained educator
- One hour tour led by highly trained docent volunteer
- One hour self-guided exploration through aquariums & exhibits
- One hour self-guided exploration on wildlife refuge & trails
Generously sponsored by U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Unified Port of San Diego, San Diego Gas & Electric, and others this program is completely free to K-12 classes from Title 1 or at-risk schools.
On Hold Until Further Notice
Outreaches to Your School or Site
Our Wild San Diego Outreach Program – K-12
A 1-hour outreach to your school or site:
- A highly trained educator to lead hands-on science lesson
- If applicable, an animal ambassador
- Pre- and Post- lesson resources for extended learning beyond the lesson